“The most exciting acting tends to happen in roles you never thought you could play” – John Lithgow
Have you ever binge watched a tv show only to realise you were too far ahead and now your on the verge of the last episode..oh you’re already done? You’re wondering what show will live up to it’s standards?..then this is the place to be.
I have watched many great tv shows that have equally lived up to the next one. Mind you I am rather picky with what I read and watch as mindless tv viewing doesn’t quite cut it for me. It has become a big part of why I love watching tv, so it’s only fair that i share my love for each show to give you some ideas if you were coming to an end with your own. Consider some snacks and be prepared to be entertained.
Credits: Based on Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay, adaptation tv series created by James Manos, Jr. Original Network aired on Showtime (2006-2013)
1) Dexter is originally based on the books by Jeff Lindsay who is a remarkable writer. This gave Showtime Networks the idea to produce their own eight tv series show which became very popular for the right reasons. Although it should be noted that the tv show is a plot of its own after the first novel and doesn’t follow the books original storyline.
Dexter Morgan seems like your regular blood analysis technician working for the police department but at night he moonlights as a serial killer of a very unique kind. An unsuspected grotesque means of killing with precise carefulness and his charming good looks, while you watch each episode you tend to empathise with Dexter and soon it isn’t hard to realise why he is ‘everyone’s favourite psychopath’.
Credits: created by Paul Scheuring, composer by Ramin Djawadi, Original Network aired on Fox
2) Prison Break was created by Paul Scheuring. The four seasons tell the story of an intellectual man determined to get his brother out of prison before death row and clear his name although we all know getting out of prison is just as hard with crazy inmates who want to spill your guts or tag along for the escape ride. What better way then to get yourself into prison with a tattooed map on your back. Very smart. Lead the way Wentworth Miller.
Credits: created by Joss Whedon, Theme music composer by Nerf Herder, Original network aired on The WB and UPN (1997-2003)
3) In the demonic world there is always a new chosen slayer should the previous falter but none play it quite so well as Sarah Michelle Geller. The one and only kick ass heroine come to our rescue. If there’s one thing she does best, it’s slay vampires with a small wooden stake and all things evil . Better keep it in your purse ladies.
Buffy the vampire slayer is wonderful for its charms, thrills and scares it possesses without being overly cringy. All the idifferent creatures are a great addition that are adapted to each episode so imaginatively that only the brilliant minded Joss Whedon could have created. Let’s not forget the brilliant theme song by Nerf Herder.
Credits: Created by Vince Gilligan, composer by Dave Porter, Original network aired on AMC
4) Everyone needs to remember the name of Walter White because he is “the danger and the one who knocks” at your door.
A heart wrenching ordeal of a chemistry teacher with terminal cancer, determined to put his family with a lifelong security after his death. Ofcourse he does what no other man dares to think of..cook and sell his own formulated drug to his batch of unusual and dangerous customers that cause him and his partner a lot of trouble. A nerve wrecking and emotional journey to realise what really breaks a man to go ‘bad’.
Credits: Based on the Fargo movie by Joel and Ethan Coen. Adaptation tv series created by Noah Hawley, Composer by Jeff Russo, Original network aired on FX (2014-present)
5) Much is left to be said about Fargo being based on a true story but it does it brilliantly as a tv spin off series from the original movie by the Coen Brothers. (better to watch both the move and series so you’re not too clueless). Also for the sole purpose of the movie being brilliant.
Like breaking bad it depicts that even mild-mannered men often lose their self-control and do ‘ bad stuff’. Here we have a salesman ‘accidentally’ killing someone whilst trying to remain the good citizen in a town where everyone wants to know what you’re up to. known to the town people and having hitman – Billy Bob Thorton try to kill you sounds very dark..that is all in the manner of black comedy they say. This should be fun..
To be continued…